24 September 2009

A fish out of water

I should start by saying that I do not work in the fashion industry. I majored in political science and Spanish in college, studied British politics at Oxford, and worked for a U.S. Senator for the past three years. So, why would someone with this background be inclined to write about fashion (with some reflections on travel and literature thrown in for good measure) and, more important, have some real knowledge on the topic? Because fashion is my life's passion, or raison d'etre, if you will. It is the calling that I have devoted almost all of my free time to since about the age of 14, and, I daresay, my knowledge on the field is practically encyclopedic.

In high school, I was convinced that fashion was not erudite or serious enough to be made into a career, so I decided to invest my time in a field that seemed more respectable, obtainable, and realistic. Let's face it, writing for Vogue isn't exactly the easiest thing to achieve, especially if you are neither a Rockefeller nor married to one. So I treated my interest in fashion like any other hobby. I spent my time reading fashion magazines, visiting fashion exhibits in museums throughout Europe, analyzing trends and theories, familiarising myself with the notable fashion critics and scholars (Christopher Breward, Amy Fine Collins, Cathy Horyn, Terri Agins, Robin Givhan, and Suzy Menkes, just to name a few of my favorites), and studying Vogue throughout the decades. By the time I had graduated from college, this hobby had truly become an all-encompassing aspect of my life, something that I owed to myself to fully explore.

A professor at the London College of Fashion described me as a "fish out of water" and that is truly what I am. I hope to use this blog as a way to take my many thoughts on fashion out of my head and onto paper, er, screen.

And tomorrow is an exciting day since "The September Issue" finally opens in theatres in Ohio! After months of watching the trailer, I'll finally get to see for myself what all of the excitement is about. Stay tuned for tomorrow's review!


** The picture is of my all-time favorite Vogue cover- the issue that really ignited my interest in fashion.**














No comments:

Post a Comment