20 January 2010

The Lost Island of Vogue Editors

I always wonder where people go when they leave Vogue. I like to pretend that former Vogue editors drift away to a lost island of sorts. After all, how could one top a job at the most prominent and influential fashion magazine on the planet? Who cares if you're forced to give up Fiji water and take the Subway in lieu of private Town Cars? Wouldn't the real mystery be "how can I live forever so I never have to leave Vogue?"

Apparently, if you're Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, Vogue's former Director of Special Events (a position now held by Sylvana Soto-Ward), the answer is off to Fashion Week. The Cut broke the news today that Ms. Winston Wolkoff would be leading New York's biggest fashion event into the future. Not only has the event welcomed a new director, but the location will also be shifting from Bryant Park to Lincoln Center's Damrosch Park. I did not realize that fashion week had been held in Bryant Park so long, but the tents have been its home for almost two decades. I'm not familiar with Damrosch Park, so I'm not sure why the change in location was warranted. Are there any Manhattanites out there who can give us the inside scoop on this new location?


Not surprisingly, it was Anna who "recommended" Ms. Winston Wolkoff for the job. I suppose this would be akin to having a letter of recommendation from Barack Obama if you want to work in politics. Anna certainly knows how to exert her authority to the fullest extent. Ms. Winston Wolkoff even admitted, in a sort of tongue-in-cheek kind of way, that even the meanies at PETA do not scare her. Well, sure, after working for Anna for thirteen years...


I must admit that New York Fashion Week is the fashion week I pay the least amount of attention to, but I'll be curious to see what a former Voguette has up her stylish sleeves when the event is held at Lincoln Park in September.


Until then, I'll call off the search party to the lost island.

No comments:

Post a Comment