18 October 2009

31 rue Cambon: Everything is Best


When Banzan was walking through a market, he overheard a conversation between a butcher and his customer.



"Give me the best piece of meat you have," said the customer.


"Everything in my shop is the best," replied the butcher. "You cannot find any piece of meat here that is not the best."



At these words Banzan became enlightened.


Though this passage is excerpted from "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones," one might say that the same can be said of Chanel's flagship store on 31 rue Cambon.


I can still remember my first visit to Paris in 2004, particularly my very own pilgrimage to Chanel's office, studio, and present-day shop on rue Cambon. If pilgrimages can be made to Canterbury, Santiago, and Rocamadour, why not a Chanel boutique? And not just any boutique, but the very building where Chanel herself worked, designed, and created nothing short of perfection.


As a young budget-traveler, I visited the store with my sister, Laura, in less than fashionable attire. I believe I was wearing my tan suede Banana Republic walking shoes, which I referred to as my "orthopedic shoes," jeans, a dark brown corduroy blazer, and a nondescript sweater. Basically, this was an outfit that I wouldn't dream of sporting today. Nevertheless, I weaved my way through the maize-like streets of Paris to find this Holy Grail of fashion. Nothing, not even a dowdy outfit, would deter me.


At last, Laura and I reached 31 rue Cambon. It was just as magical as I imagined. The gargantuan store was filled with sumptuous bags, pristine dresses, and glorious shoes. A Zen master, or fashionista, might have walked around the store thinking, "Everything is best here."

And it was.






No comments:

Post a Comment