11 October 2009

Swiss Dot Tights!

For as much as I love fashion, I rarely buy new clothing to jazz up my own wardrobe. Some readers may recall that line from SATC where Carries says that she likes her money where she can see it: hanging in her closet. Well, I like my money where I can see it too: stamped in my passport. So, when it comes times to buy a few pieces for fall, my favorite season (for both the weather and the RTW collections), I'm generally pretty miserly. However, this season, the trend that was all over the fall 2009 RTW runways is something that I can easily afford to incorporate into my wardrobe: tights, glorious tights!



My favorite incarnation of the tights trend is without a doubt the swiss dot tight, a sheer tight with tiny black dots. Spotted all over the Balenciaga runway (see four looks from the runway above) and subsequent photo editorials in Vogue and Harper's Bazaar, it is the perfect way to wear a texturized tight without being too severe or heavy. The only downside is that I've only been able to find this specific tight on the website for Gerbe (http://www.gerbe.com/), the same brand of the Balenciaga tights and every tight in the August and September layouts. A French brand, the tights are naturally priced in Euros and are, sadly, way beyond my budget for something as ephemeral as tights. They'll inevitably snag, so why spend $58 on a single pair?


I simply must have these tights. I have a wedding later in the month where I'll be wearing a dress that is practically begging to be accessorized with swiss dot tights. Not content to relinquish $60 for tights, I scoured the usual mall suspects for stylish tights: Macy's, Banana Republic, J.Crew, Gap, The Limited, Express, etc., etc. No such luck. I haven't wandered into Forever 21 yet (that's a full afternoon's work!) or Saks, but they might be my last resort. If you should happen to come across swiss dot tights, for less than $60, please send the tip my way!







5 comments:

  1. Perhaps AT? They had a nice line of tights last year...so perhaps they'll have swiss dot tights this year?

    Target always carries a weird selection of hosiery as well.

    I'd send you to Nordstrom, my mecca of window shopping, but alas, they'd probably cost $60/pair as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, my comment didn't post!
    Target--Candi, that's a good idea!
    I will be on the lookout for tights for you. I LOVE tights so maybe I'll find some that won't cost an arm and a leg. I don't understand how TIGHTS can cost more than some shoes!
    I do get my regular hosiery at Nordstrom, just because it holds up so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I love them!! Anthropologie sells them (more opaque version) and so does American Eagle. For thigh highs, try secretsinlace.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also found more sheer ones at stockingirl.com search for "swiss dot"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your site in my own search for the amazing swiss dot tight. I bought a pair of HUE tulle dot sheers from Macy's and ripped them, so sad that they only had the one pair. My search online has found---UrbanOutfitters.com carries a sheer dot tigh; HerRoom.com carries the Spanx has a Swiss Dot pair; And Jockey.com has sheer dot hoisery

    ReplyDelete