15 December 2009

The Best of Beauty from the Beauty Expert Herself

My best friend is a bona fide expert when it comes to all things Beauty. She has used all of the best and most user-friendly lines. She experiments with the new, trendy shades. And, best of all, she has perfectly flawless porcelain skin, so everything works well with her complexion. Each time I'm at her apartment, I gaze into her makeup boxes like an explorer who has just discovered the missing link to humanity or something equally exciting. She has it all, believe me.

So, I thought it would be helpful if she narrowed done some of the best (and worst!) beauty products. It seems like the beauty section in stores ranging from Target to Saks grows infinitely larger year by year. Who even knows how to effectively narrow down the myriad of options?


Here is where Emily comes in, dear readers. Below are her picks for the best of the best, with even a demerit included for fun. Enjoy!



1. Origins Never A Dull Moment facial scrub (http://www.origins.com/, some Macy’s stores). I started using this in college, and have flitted to many other scrubs since, but this is always a winner. Gentle enough to use more than once a week, it’s not super grainy and sets your face up perfectly for a mask. I use this once a week, followed by an Origins face mask.


2. Bumble and Bumble hair products. Yes, this is more than one, but I really can’t choose between prep and thickening hairspray. Together, they are a fantastic duo. And I am not a Hair Girl—I would much rather play with make-up than do my hair. But these two products make my hair do amazing things, and make me look like a Hair Girl.


3. Bobbi Brown blush (http://www.bobbibrown.com/, Nordstrom, Macy’s). “I love blush!” declares the makeup artist in one of her books. So it’s no surprise that her line has a rainbow of natural colors, in a variety of finishes. For myself, I prefer pale pink, pink sugar, or washed rose, followed by a swipe of her pink shimmer brick compact (which can be blush in and of itself.).


4. Bath and Body Works Warm Vanilla Sugar body scrub. Smells divine, low cost, easy to find. What more can you want?


5. Bobbi Brown concealer/foundation/powder: Again, more than one thing. But the entire face system is great. The concealer is the best I have found for covering dark circles; the foundation matches your skin, no matter how pale or dark you are, and yellow powder does amazing things for the complexion. Plus, a bottle of foundation will last a good long time. The foundation also comes in a cream to powder compact and in a stick (great for the office or travel).


** And one thing I don’t get….Maybelline Great Lash. I keep reading about how wonderful it is. And I’ve tried it. And I don’t get it. I think it makes your lashes look scary—way too thick and clumpy. Plus, you look like you have maybe four lashes, and it’s impossible to comb through. For my money, Clinique, Lancome, and Cover Girl make much better products.


*** I completely agree with Emily regarding Great Lash. I bought it once and my eyes were so irritated that they were red for a month and so sore from itching that I couldn't wear eyeliner.

2 comments:

  1. You must try Benefit BadGal Lash mascara. That's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've tried that, Candi, when I have to do a dramatic look.
    You know, I love the Origins scrub so much I got into a fight with a boyfriend about it. That's how I should've known to dump him...

    ReplyDelete