28 December 2009

New Year's (Fashion) Resolutions

"Doing more with less." This was the motto of my former boss in the U.S. Senate. It was a terrific slogan for his organization and, it turns out, it is an even better philosophy when applied to fashion. Since we could all benefit from learning how to do more with less, I thought that would be the best New Year's resolution I could make (fashion-wise, at least) for 2010. So, here below are my suggestions for doing more with less in your own wardrobe.



** Purchase clothes the way the French do. Buy fewer, but better pieces of higher quality. You should only need a few new pieces each year. That's it.



** Become a mix-master with prints. Etro and Pucci are the inspirations here. The more pieces you are able to mix and wear together, the better (and more interesting!) your outfits will be.



** If you must have a staple, make it your most interesting piece. The piece in my wardrobe that I wear the most is not a black skirt or a navy blazer, but a crazy, green cap sleeve turtleneck with rouching and white polka dots that I bought in Warsaw for 77 zloty. It doesn't sound like it would be versatile, but it's hands-down the piece I wear the most. Learn how to incorporate a psychedelic piece like that into your wardrobe and the outfit combinations will be infinite. It's also a heck of a lot more exciting than building a wardrobe around a black skirt!



** Learn how to dress without black. This may sound earth-shattering to some, but I've found that the people whose personal style I admire the most are those who are able to turn heads and create memorable outfits without sticking to basic black. You'll be able to do a lot more with less once you leave behind the comfort zone of wearing black head to toe. Lighten up. Add color.



** Build outfits around creative accessories. Printed scarves, costume jewelery, textured tights. These are all fantastic ways to add depth and interest to even the most basic of outfits. Accessories truly do transform outfits, and they can be purchased at any price.



** Step out of your comfort zone just this once. Switch up your style. Remember when Tinsley Mortimer and Vogue fashion-writer Florence Kane traded styles? If you're always decked out in dresses and feminine pieces (like Tinsley), try adding some preppy pieces to your wardrobe the way Florence would. You can always switch back!



** Save the money that you would have spent on an expensive pair of shoes or yet another handbag and add it to your travel fund. Trust me, it's a lot more fun to shop in London or Antwerp than it is in Anytown, USA. Since I have a lot of travel plans on my radar for 2010, I really need to take my own advice on this one! Plus, it's thrilling to come across eclectic pieces that you never would have considered buying elsewhere.


I hope these tips will inspire you to create beautiful and exciting ensembles in 2010. Thank you for your readership, and I hope to see you in 2010! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment