11 December 2009

Oh, the books you'll read!

Since the end of the year is almost upon us, I thought it would be a good idea to take inventory of the year as it was in books, along with a look at what is on my book-radar for 2010.


So, here are my top ten books from 2009 in no particular order:


1. "A Dash of Daring: Carmel Snow and Her Life in Fashion, Art, and Letters," Penelope Rowlands. This was hands-down the best biography I have ever read. It made me wish that I had been born in the 1930s so I could work with Carmel Snow and the other talented people who inhabited her life (Conde Nast, Jean Lanvin, Jean Patou, Poiret, Vionnet, Balenciaga....the list goes on!). If you love fashion as much as I do, I promise that you will love this book.

2. "The Sea, the Sea," Iris Murdoch. My obsession with Iris Murdoch began with this book. It was an amazingly gripping psychological thriller. Suspenseful, complicated, and philosophical. My love for this book led me to read five more books from Murdoch this year. If you haven't read any Murdoch, do start!

3. "Jude the Obscure," Thomas Hardy. Perhaps my favorite book of all-time. Set in a fictional city modeled after Oxford, young Jude dreamt only of attending Christminster. His ambition to overcome the many hurdles keeping him from his dream were touching and inspiring. Let's just say that I can easily relate to Jude. The setting of Christminster, with all of the Oxford references, made it that much more entertaining for me.

4. "Possession," A.S. Byatt. Another of my all-time favorite books. Probably the most romantic story imaginable.

5. "The Great Railway Bazaar," Paul Theroux. This was the book that defined the modern travel narrative. Now I understand why. Theroux makes you feel as if you are along for the ride- and you will want to be.

6. "The Alchemist," Paulo Coelho. Picked up from the library on a whim, I finished this short little book in one sitting. Inspiring and encouraging. This book, while maybe a little cheesy at times, will you push you to go for your dreams and to see "the world through your own eyes and not someone else's."

7. "The Waves," Virginia Woolf. One of those rare books that one could read a dozen times and take away something different from it each time. I viewed it as a metaphor for life, with life occurring in stages or seasons, like the tide, and not as a race to the finish line.

8. "Ghost Train to the Eastern Star: On the Tracks of the Great Railway Bazaar," Paul Theroux. Theroux decided to retrace the tracks of his ground-breaking travel narrative. The reader discovers that while the journey has remained the same (with a few alterations due to strife in certain parts of the world), the traveler has changed. Just as fascinating as the first, which started it all.

9. "Bonjour, Tristesse," Francoise Sagan. I loved this book so much that I also wrote a blog entry on it. Fantastic coming-of-age story set in the south of France. Not to be missed, in my opinion.


10. "The Time Traveler's Wife," Audrey Niffenegger. I wasn't planning on reading this book, but everyone kept raving about it, so I decided to check it out. I'm truly glad that I did. This was one of the most romantic and touching books that I've read- the rare book in which the characters stay with you long after you have finished the actual book.


And, on my radar for 2010:

1. "Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky," Chris Greenhalgh. I'm always excited to read more about the life of Chanel. I'd like to see this film, too.

2. "Alice I Have Been," Melanie Benjamin. 2010 is shaping up to be "The Year of Alice," with everyone's excitement for Tim Burton's recreation reaching extreme heights. I'm curious about it, too.

3. "The Elegance of the Hedgehog," Muriel Barbery. I've wanted to read this for awhile, so I finally added it to my library queue. It's set in Paris, so you really can't go wrong.

4. "Committed," Elizabeth Gilbert. This book, which doesn't come out until January 5, 2010, has already generated a lot of buzz, probably due to the success of "Eat, Pray, Love" and the forthcoming movie of the same name. I'm curious to hear what she has to say on marriage after vowing never to marry again. Plus, I loved her advice in Elle to those under 25 who plan on marrying: "Wake up, slow down." Amen, sister.


So, there we have it: the year (and upcoming months) in books. I'd love to know what you've been reading! Also, feel free to send any interesting recommendations my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment