08 August 2010

The Search for the Perfect Bag

Handbags are probably my least favorite accessory to purchase and, sadly, I am in desperate need of a new one. My last go-to bag was purchased in London in 2007 at New Look, which is basically a British Forever 21 equivalent. Nevertheless, this was a fantastic black doctor bag that was loaded with roomy pockets, chic stitching details, and versatile handles. It also constantly garnered approval from strangers. So, I am now in the market for a new bag. I need something that travels well, something that can handle a lot of wear and tear (my trusty New Look bag survived nearly three years and two big cross-Europe trips), and something that is unique. I've really been favoring cross-body bags as of late, so that's probably what I'll concentrate on.

Here are a few looks from Gap, Inc./ Piperlime that are either top contenders for the role of New Bag, or are indicative of what I'm looking for:


I really love this Marc by Marc Jacobs bag, but it's inconceivable for me to spend $400 on a handbag. If I can buy round trip airfare to London for not much more, I'm definitely not spending it on a purse. No way, no how.



This Rebecca Minkoff cross-body bag has everything I'm looking for in a new carryall. The only problem, again, is the price. These are the details that I would want a prospective bag to have, though.


I kind of like this mustard-yellow cross-body bag from Nine West. The only problem I can see is that it is predominantly nylon, and I'm not sure if a nylon bag can truly go the distance.

This mini chain bag from Banana Republic obviously couldn't be my new multi-purpose, go-to bag, but I'm strangely drawn to it. This bag would be so much fun for nights out, dressy dinners, cocktails, etc.


I haven't bought a handbag from the Gap since high school, but this two-tone coated canvas bag has real potential. The bag also possesses more uptown elegance than its small price tag would suggest.

(** all images from piperlime.gap.com and gap.com**)

No comments:

Post a Comment