01 August 2010

America's Favorite Cities


Travel + Leisure wants to know what America's favorite cities are. For the magazine's annual survey, you can rate your favorite city on everything from the quality of its cultural and historical monuments to the abundance of its microbreweries or farmers' markets. You can even rate the city based on the attractiveness and friendliness of its inhabitants. The 35 cities include standards like New York, D.C., Chicago, and Boston along with smaller noteworthy gems like Philadelphia, Providence, Savannah, and Seattle. I only took the survey for three cities: New York, D.C., and Chicago since these are the American cities that I have spent the most time in. How did I rate these cities?

Well, New York received high marks for the diversity and stylishness of its residents, but loooooow marks for the friendliness of said residents. If you've ever been temporarily lost in New York and tried to ask for directions, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Of course the city received the highest scores in categories like neighborhood joints, luxury stores, vintage boutiques, nightlife, and cultural attractions. I gave it low marks for cleanliness (after Rome, New York is without a doubt the dirtiest city I've ever visited) and ease of public transportation. I have an easier time getting around Warsaw than I do New York.

How did our nation's capital fare? Well, I gave D.C. high marks for the quality of its historical monuments (obviously!), cleanliness, ease of public transportation, the intelligence of its inhabitants (yes, that was a category...a category in which L.A. always comes in last), the quality/ abundance of classical music venues, and the access to outdoor parks and recreation. I was unsure of the friendliness and stylishness of the inhabitants. Traditionally, D.C. is where fashion comes to die, but that's been changing recently, so I was optimistic.

Chicago generally received middle-of-the-road marks from me, mainly since I haven't visited in a few years. I didn't think I had a valid opinion in many categories like noteworthy neighborhoods, singles bars, and public transportation (I've always walked or gotten around via taxi). I did give Chicago high marks for the quality of its museums, ethnic restaurants, skyline, and friendliness of inhabitants.

How would you rate our nation's cities? Take the survey at http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2010 and watch for the official results in the December 2010 issue of T+L!


No comments:

Post a Comment