13 August 2010

September is the January of Fashion

September marks the beginning of a new cycle of fashion, or so says Candy Pratts Price. It is also the most important month of the entire year for the magazine world. So, which magazines put forth the most exciting, innovative, and fashion-forward covers for September? Here are some of my top picks:



The subscriber's edition of Harper's Bazaar. This is the best cover design I've seen all year. I haven't seen Jennifer Aniston look this edgy or fashion-forward on a magazine cover since the February 2003 issue of W. It would figure that my subscription to Bazaar just ended, so I'm stuck with the yawn-inducing newsstand cover (see below). Maybe I can buy the issue off of a library...


The newsstand cover is like a night-and-day contrast to the artistic subscriber cover. This one is perfectly suited towards the mainstream who have absolutely no interest in fashion.


While not a fashion magazine, I really love Vanity Fair's cover photograph of Lady Gaga. I just love the way she is styled, and I also love that silver hair, which seems to be on-trend these days.


I like this cover shot of Halle Berry. I think her hair looks fantastic and uber-chic. I know that Anna feels like a big statement was made by featuring an African American woman on the cover of a September issue. I just think (no offense to Ms. Berry, who is quite lovely) that Chanel Iman or Liya Kebede would have been more exciting cover choices. They are both highly talented models who are truly deserving of Vogue's top cover honor.


W's different redesigns for September. I'm not crazy about any of these cover images, but I'm most drawn to the middle image. I'm extremely curious to see how Mr. Tonchi has changed the magazine, though.


I also really love British Vogue's Kate Moss cover. Everything about this cover is just perfect.

(** images from Google**)

1 comment:

  1. Wow LOVE that first cover! Couldn't even tell it was JA. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete