07 September 2010

Quotable Quotes from ALT

I know that the live coverage for the Lincoln Center public fashion show is still going on, but I wanted to share a few thoughts and, most importantly, quotable quotes from the irreplaceable Andre Leon Talley.

First off, could poor Hanneli Mustaparta have been any more awkward alongside ALT? Oh, my goodness... This was obviously her first gig in front of the camera and off the runway. Plus, although she had worked as a model, she didn't know most of the guests who came to chat with ALT. And, as fabulous as he is, Andre really didn't make much of an effort to include her in the conversation or to introduce her to the designers.

Secondly, this was clearly the night to toot the horn of Anna Wintour. I'll include a few of Andre's choice comments regarding Anna's state of being the supreme fashion potentate. They were excessive!

I thought the show was very exciting, but way too fast-paced. I liked the concept of having a constant stream of models moving around the arena, but it was difficult to focus in on one particular look or model. Gisele opened the show in Marchesa and later admitted to having been nervous during the show, likely due to the length of the runway. Other top models including Karolina Kurkova, Lily Donaldson, Chanel Iman, Karlie Kloss, and Angela Lindvall walked in the show.

And here are a few of my favorite quotes from ALT that I scribbled down while he was commentating the show:

"Shoes from Prada or Payless!"

"Trying to clean up the world" ALT about Donna Karan

"Fashion is for everyone today!"

"Walk that train, girl!" ALT to Naomi Campbell

"I am so happy that people feel good about themselves!" (Not sure what he meant there...sometimes ALT's ways of thinking are higher than ours...)

"It's her (Anna Wintour) city tonight!" Agreed. Mayor Bloomburg should just relinquish his seat and give it to Anna.

"I love that beehive!"

"Go out at night in plaid!"

"Masterly! Drama!"

"You should do coffins!" ALT to Vera Wang

"Polish is important."

"Waists are back, curves are back!"

"I love the glitter on the eyelids!"

"This is a night of history!"

Let's face it: ALT is a veritable book of quotations, so I'll have to limit myself to those gems.

And now I must return to the evening's festivities!

No comments:

Post a Comment