09 November 2009

Anna Wintour and Michelle Obama: Bringing Fashion Back to D.C.

When I read that Anna Wintour had been appointed to some kind of committee in the White House, my interest in politics legitimately piqued for the first time in, well, ever. Usually when a political topic comes up, I hit the metaphorical snooze button with lightning speed.

NY Magazine's fashion blog, The Cut, reported a few days ago that Anna would be serving on the Committee on the Arts and Humanities along with SJP and other leaders in the fashion and arts worlds. The committee will be representing the interests of fashion, arts, and other cultural fields.

Does this mean that D.C. might be turning into a fashion-focused city a la Paris or Milan? I don't know if we can go that far, but it is still good news for the fashion community. I'm not surprised that Anna has been asked to join the committee, which First Lady Michelle Obama will be chairing (even if only as an honorary chair). Michelle Obama has done much for American fashion already in her short time in the White House. Instead of de la Renta and Michael Kors, we have a first lady who is wearing Jason Wu, Isabel Toledo, and even J.Crew. Could it be that Michelle Obama might be the catalyst for interest in fashion in the same way that SATC led the average American viewer to have the previously esoteric name of Manolo Blahnik rolling off the tongue? I genuinely believe so, and not just because I adore Michelle Obama so much (I love, love, LOVE Michelle Obama!).

With Anna Wintour and Michelle Obama in the White House, fashion finally has an unbeatable duo representing its interests. I, for one, am thrilled.

2 comments: