30 November 2009

Music Made for the Runway

Admittedly, the first time I took interest in the musical duo La Roux was not because of their music. I just loved the cover of their CD, "La Roux," and couldn't stop admiring the copper mohawk of singer Elly Jackson. With a cover that cool, I figured the music had to be pretty cool, too.

It turns out that I was right.


"La Roux" is one of the best complete CDs I've listened to in a long time. Not since Duffy's "Rockferry" have I liked every single song on a CD. Singer Elly Jackson and songwriter Ben Langmaid scored with a debut album that has been creeping up the charts already in the UK. The music style of La Roux definitely suits my taste in music, so it's not surprising that I would love every track. The songs are a mix of pop, electro, techno, and dance beats- perfect for tearing up the dance floor, grooving in your car, or, if you're Magdalena Frackowiak or Arlenis Sosa, walking the runway.


If this CD would have been out back when Tom Ford was designing for Gucci and YSL Rive Gauche, this is definitely the kind of music that he would have played during his shows. "Colourless Colour" especially strikes me as a Ford song, with song lyrics even referencing fashion ("Once in fashion and soon to be seen....once in fashion and soon to be rediscovered"). That song was, seriously, made for the catwalk. The beats are just too perfect. Since Ford has left fashion to *gasp* direct movies, perhaps Donatella Versace, Jean Paul Gaultier, or Karl Lagerfeld might be interested in playing "La Roux" during their fashion shows.


Though I enjoyed every song, my favorite tracks are "Colourless Colour," "Bulletproof," "In for the Kill," "Cover My Eyes," and "I'm not your Toy." "Cover My Eyes" is particularly haunting and somber at the same time. Thankfully, the entire CD is something that can be played from start to finish without a weak spot. I haven't purchased a CD since last year, but I recently added "La Roux" to my amazon wish list.


Fashionable, edgy, relaxing, energizing. The CD fits all of those descriptions...and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment