10 June 2010

The Allure of Iceland

My sister was the mastermind behind our recent jaunt through Iceland. Laura and I are both aces when it comes to booking European airfare. I don't think either of us have ever flown (roundtrip) to anywhere in Europe from the U.S. for over $600. Laura outdid herself with our most recent ticket, though. She was able to secure us a ten-hour layover in Reykjavik with Icelandair before terminating at London Heathrow. Icelandair was certainly not the most accommodating carrier I've ever flown with (that would be British Airways, of course). For the five-hour flight from Boston, we were served neither a meal nor beverages. Everything, including the headphones, was a la carte. Being without water can make even a relatively short flight seem like a flight across the Pacific! With the flight behind us, though, we landed at Keflavik Airport at 6 a.m., ready to see as much of Iceland as we could. This is a country that both of us will be re-visiting, mark my words!

Here are some of my favorite pictures from Reykjavik and Keflavik:


Maybe I spoke too soon about Icelandair. They do have the best free luggage tags ever. Laura and I will no doubt be flying with them when we go back to Iceland.


Before making the 45-minute voyage to Reykjavik, we had a quick breakfast at the airport. Skyr.is is the best yogurt I've ever had. I know that I tend to overuse superlatives when describing Iceland, but this yogurt was truly wonderful. Better than Greek yogurt, in my opinion.


Keflavik Airport is more futuristic than modern. I half expected Bjork to walk around a corner wearing her infamous swan dress.


Leif Ericsson was everywhere in Iceland in some form or another. Cafes, hotels, streets, airport wings, etc. Were he to visit Iceland today, he might leave with a rather big head.


Iceland may be bankrupt, but the country is rich with natural beauty. Imagine waking up to this view each day!


Hip Icelandic fashion on display at a boutique in the center of the city. The pink and orange skirt reminds me of Carrie's infamous tutu.


I think I could be happy living on this street... if only it weren't so expensive and difficult to get residency in Iceland.


Inside the Hallgrimskirkja. I've never seen a statue quite like this in any church or cathedral.


The giant eggplant that fell from space and landed behind Keflavik Airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment