14 June 2010

(Not) All Passion Spent


I think I mentioned in a previous post that I have been on a huge Virginia Woolf kick lately. My great love and admiration for Virginia led me to read All Passion Spent by her great love, Vita Sackville-West. This was one of those rare books that was not only delightfully enjoyable to read, but one that delivered a powerful message, as well. It was about the importance of being true to our passions and our one true vocation.

Lady Slane was a woman who was confined to the traditions and social customs of 19th century England. Unable, or so she thought, to pursue her passion for painting, she assumed the traditional role of women by marrying and having children. Only when her husband passed away some seventy years later was she finally able to devote herself to her true passion.

She defied and mystified her adult children by leaving her home and moving to an old house in Hampstead. Here she would encounter eccentrics and odd characters alike who nourished her passion in some way.

Mr. FitzGeorge, millionaire art-collector, would have this poignant conversation with Lady Slane while visiting her at Hampstead:

"I had everything that most women would covet: position, comfort, children, and a husband I loved. I had nothing to complain of- nothing," Lady Slane.

"Except that you were defrauded of the one thing that mattered. Nothing matters to an artist except the fulfillment of his gift. Face it, Lady Slane. Your children, your husband, your splendour, were nothing but obstacles that kept you from yourself. They were what you chose to substitute for your real vocation. You were too young, I suppose, to know any better, but when you chose that life, you sinned against the light, " Mr. FitzGeorge.

"Yes, I know you are right," Lady Slane.

It may have been too late for Lady Slane to devote herself to her life's passion, but I'm finding that it is not too late for me, or one of my best friends, who recently found the courage and conviction to go after her life's vocation. In some way, I think Vita Sackville-West stressed that it is never too late to go after what is really important to you. Even Lady Slane found the courage to do so, even if it came at the end of life. Be true to your passions and to yourself, the book seemed to say.

I heard the message loud and clear, realizing that not all passion has been spent just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment