23 June 2010

Who is the best on-screen Chanel?

The film industry has certainly been smitten with Chanel lately. First we had Lifetime's Chanel biopic starring Shirley MacLaine as the title role. Then there was "Coco Before Chanel" with Audrey Tatou taking the lead. Now we have "Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky," a film based on the novel of the same name by Christopher Greenhalgh with Anna Mouglalis playing Coco. I haven't seen the newest adaptation yet, but I did read Greenhalgh's novel. I wasn't too overwhelmed by it, finding the prose rather dull and slow-going. I am very curious about the film, though, mostly for the fashion. I think Mouglalis makes a terrific Chanel, too.

Who makes the best Chanel on screen, though?



Anna Mouglalis as Chanel in "Coco Chanel and Igor Stravinsky." Love the hair, love the clothes, love the look.



Audrey Tatou as Chanel in "Coco Before Chanel." To me, Audrey was as close to the real icon as you can get.



Shirley MacLaine as the contemporary Chanel in Lifetime's "Coco Chanel." I kind of hated MacLaine's portrayal of Chanel.



Barbora Bobulova as the young Gabrielle in Lifetime's "Coco Chanel." I thought Ms. Bobulova was fantastic in this role. She deserved far more praise than she received.



And the legend herself, the irreplaceable Gabrielle Chanel.

So who is the best on-screen Chanel? I've made my pick; send me yours!

(** all images in this post courtesy of Google**)

No comments:

Post a Comment