26 June 2010

Edinburgh is for (History) Lovers

Edinburgh was one of those rare cities that I felt as if I had visited before. It was unlike any city I had ever been to, but it instantly felt familiar and friendly to me. Having spent time in England and Wales, I was familiar with some elements of Scotland like the currency, the language (obviously), the food, and British customs and etiquette. Yet, Scotland was as unlike both of those nations as it was similar. Edinburgh, in particular, was just filled with contradictions.
Here is a bit of what we saw:


Second day in Edinburgh. We needed a day to recover from the overnight coach from London, or at least I needed a day to recover. This was also our first experience with the crazy Scottish weather.



The Heart of Lothian. If you need to spit in Edinburgh, this is where you do it according to our walking tour guide, Mark. Rival football team fans spit here both for good luck and to curse their opponents. Charming!



Greyfriars Bobby. This beloved pooch is arguably the most famous dog in Scotland. After his master passed away, Bobby stood dutifully by his grave for fourteen years. After Bobby himself passed away, this statue was lovingly erected in his honor. I'd like to think that a similar statue might one day be built to commemorate the life of my blessed and most beloved Chihuahua.



Inside Greyfriars Cemetery. It was definitely a little spooky, even during the day. Laura and I had planned to go on a ghost tour of Edinburgh (a free one, of course), but we were apparently the only two budget-savvy travelers in Edinburgh that evening. No one showed up for the free tour, opting for the various 15GBP tours instead. So, we decided to walk through the cemetery at night by ourselves...for at least a minute or two before our wits got the best of us and we fled the grounds.



Our walking tour guide, Mark, a postgrad at the University of Edinburgh, demonstrating the heroic acts of Greyfriars Bobby, a dog who was so loyal that even a bar was dedicated in his honor.



One of the supposedly haunted crypts in the cemetery. Our would-be ghost tour guide claimed to have "invented" the tale of the haunting behind this grave, though. He also alleged to have been executed sometime in the 19th century, too, so I don't know how credibly his story was...


An eerily haunting image of Edinburgh Castle, perched atop of the volcanic Castle Rock. We walked around the castle many times, clinging to the walls and gates for dear life so as not to be blown off the mountain.


Celtic high cross. I've been fascinated with Celtic history and folklore since childhood. Now that I've made it to England, Scotland, and Wales, I really need to venture to Ireland.



The National Library of Scotland. I adore libraries. I probably visit my own public library anywhere from 3-5 times a week. The public library across from the National Library was also fantastic. They had the best collection of DK Eyewitness Travel Guides that I had ever seen. I was in heaven.


Lovely fountain in the middle of one of the public parks. Just don't walk too close to the fountain when the wind is blowing!

I truly loved Scotland. It may be a place brimming with contradictions, folklores, and myths, but one thing is for certain: Scotland is for history lovers. If you love history, you will not be disappointed in Scotland!

1 comment: