12 October 2010

I can officially remove W from my reading list...


I started reading W right around my senior year in high school. I loved that the magazine offered more artistic and avant garde cover photos than any other American fashion magazine. I also loved the sheer size of it, even if my subscription completely overwhelmed our mail box. I subscribed all through college and kind of lost interest in W after graduation, switching my gears toward travel magazines like National Geographic Traveler and Conde Nast Traveler.

Well, any remnant of interest I had left in the magazine has been obliterated under the re-design of Stefano Tonchi. I haven't liked anything about the magazine since it was supposedly revamped. I didn't even touch the issue with Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling, and I almost always give the magazine the obligatory peruse when I'm in a Barnes & Noble. The same will happen with the so-called "art issue" for November. Kim Kardashian?! Naked?! How is this in any way artistic? Shouldn't she be relegated to the covers of magazines like In Style and People? W used to be about high fashion, society, and culture. Under Mr. Tonchi's brief reign, the focus seems to have completely moved to pop culture, something that I have absolutely no interest in.

I wish W could return to its original focus. Actually, I wish the entire fashion industry would dial the clock back a bit. I have become completely disenchanted with the entire mainstream fashion industry, making me that much more pleased that I decided not to pursue a career in fashion journalism.

Maybe W will come around. For now, it has been removed from my magazine reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment