22 February 2011

Emma Watson's Bewitching Valentino


I have a huge confession. I have not seen a single Harry Potter film in its entirety. Not a single one. I've tried many times to make it through the first movie, but I've fallen asleep every time. Conventional wisdom would indicate that I'd be a huge fan of the Harry Potter franchise. It takes place in England, my earthly paradise. It was filmed (partially) at Oxford University, where the greatest four months of my life took place. The main characters are enrolled in boarding school, which is one of my odd interests (I used to request catalogs from schools like Andover, Groton, and Western Reserve Academy for my younger brother...he wasn't so amused). I've even visited the real-life inspiration for Hogwart's in Edinburgh. Despite these similarities, I still haven't cottoned on to the lore of Harry Potter.

Yet, I find Emma Watson absolutely fascinating. Well, as far as actresses/ celebrities go. She is well-spoken, highly educated, academically ambitious, and fashion-forward. If she appears on the cover of a fashion magazine, I actually read the interview, as opposed to fast-forwarding through it like I do with 99% of other actor/actress interviews. I love that she is willing to take risks with fashion, even as a young woman. One need not look any further than her new pixie haircut for evidence of her daring nature. She has also carved out her own identity and aesthetics through fashion, which I find laudable. Take a look at this beautiful Valentino Couture confection that she recently wore to the British Academy Film Awards. Even Hermione would be impressed!

Maybe I'll try to watch the first Harry Potter movie one more time...

(** image from vogue.com**)

No comments:

Post a Comment