25 February 2011

Prada's Ladylike Innocence

It was such a thrill to watch the new Prada collection live yesterday. There's something so energizing about watching the models storm down the runway, wearing clothes never before seen. I loved the atmosphere and music, too. But now that the collection has been viewed, it's time to really think about what Ms. Prada presented.

The collection featured no pants, only skirts and knee-length dresses this time around. The clothing also had a dainty, childlike feel to it, or an "unattainable girlishness," as Tim Blanks put it. I really loved that element of the clothing, though! I adore youthful looks that require slim physiques (i.e. no bust) in order to successfully carry off. Despite the unassuming, ladylike aesthetics, the collection was undeniably provocative, with models decked out in python boots, fur, and sequins. There's nothing childlike about knee-high snakeskin boots! My favorite pieces were the dresses that featured giant plastic scales, leaving Tim Blanks to wonder if they were meant to portray serpents or mermaids. That's the genius behind Miuccia Prada: she always leaves you with something intellectual to ponder.


I agree with Blanks that there was something off-putting about the way the models clutched their bags. I love accessories, but maybe they could have done without the bags? Or at least without holding them in such a strange manner? I am crazy about those shoes, though!



Exquisite use of color! And there are those python boots that were referenced. There's definitely a juxtaposition between the young and the more sophisticated happening in this look.



I could see this as a prep school uniform, but the fur also gives it a much more advanced, grown-up feel.



Now we're moving into my favorite part of the collection. I thought the shimmering scales were brilliant. This look is flawless, and I'd wear everything from head to toe.



Can you tell that I really love yellow? The burgundy cap gives this look a bit of a twenties, flapper feel, but the boots seem reminiscent of the sixties. Regardless of era, this is perfection.



I really prefer seeing the clothes unobstructed by the handbags.



There's something very delicate about this final look. Gorgeous shoes, too.

Miuccia Prada explained that she was "curious about women" and wanted "to challenge their passion." It showed in this collection.

(** images and quotes from style.com**)

No comments:

Post a Comment