18 February 2011

Hamish Bowles to Address the Oxford Union


The world's most famous debating chamber is set to host one of the world's foremost experts on fashion next Wednesday, February 23rd. Hamish Bowles won't just be in Europe for the various fashion weeks of London, Milan, and Paris; he also has the privilege of being the invited guest at the Oxford Union. This exciting news has me contemplating both a ticket to London and a quick dusting off of my old Oxford Student ID.

The Oxford Union is one of those magical institutions that make Oxford so unique. It's a members-only club for which you pay hefty dues. This membership, however, gives you access to the excellent library, bar, student services, activities, and, of course, world-famous speakers. When I was at Oxford for the Hillary Term, I was thrilled that Sir Paul Smith would be one of the featured guests. I was actually able to shake his hand and mumble something about being an admirer of his work. I have other fond memories from the Oxford Union, though. I recall how my friends and I decided to participate in the OUSU (Oxford Union Student Union) pub crawl. I believe I still have the t-shirt for that event. What a fun night! And, of course, I enjoyed studying in the OU's library, which, while small, always had hidden nooks and crannies for quiet studiers.

Hamish Bowles mentioned on Vogue.com that he is excited for this opportunity, and he has every reason to be. By speaking at the Oxford Union, he'll be joining a prestigious list of guests that has included the Dali Lama, Mother Teresa, John McCain, Michael Jackson, Jon Bon Jovi, Clint Eastwood, W.B. Yeats, President Carter, Senator Robert Kennedy, and Stephen Hawking. In addition, twelve British Prime Ministers have either been members or officers in the Union, including Tony Blair and Margaret Thatcher. This place is steeped in history.

So, what might Mr. Bowles address at the Union? I would hope he would focus on his curatorial work for the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as well as his most recent project, "Balenciaga: Spanish Master" for the Queen Sofia Spanish Institute in New York. The fat that the Oxford Union has asked more and more people in the fashion community (I believe Anna Wintour was asked to speak two years ago) suggests to me that fashion is not frivolous and that it is a subject worthy of serious academic and intellectual thought. I hope Hamish Bowles will continue to convey that message when he meets with some of the UK's finest students next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment