21 July 2010

Harper's Bazaar Goes Shallow, Way Shallow


I didn't think there was anything noteworthy about the August issue of Harper's Bazaar except, perhaps, that it produced the most insipid, shallow, and ridiculous article I have ever read. I am referring to Simon Doonan's little piece entitled "Eat, Shop, Love," which was meant to be a spin-off of the blockbuster travel memoir (and soon-to-be-released movie) "Eat, Pray, Love." Simon Doonan has made an entire career out of being shallow and annoying, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised he produced this dribble. If you haven't bought the issue (Don't!!), or if your subscriber's issue hasn't arrived yet, I'll fill you in on what you should definitely miss.

First, Elizabeth Gilbert's travel memoir was about taking a chance, improving one's life, finding deeper meaning in life, and self discovery. I think all of those values are admirable and certainly worth pursuing. In order to achieve this state of self-actualization, she ventured around the world for a year, stopping in three different countries with three different missions. She ate copious amounts of food in Italy. She took part in a silent retreat at the ashram in India. And she, well, met a hot Brazilian in Bali. All of these findings or experiences enriched her life in some way.

Simon Doonan's recommendations on achieving a similar state of enlightenment and fulfillment? Well, he substituted "shop" for "pray," so that should tell you something right there. His advice is to shop instead of travel and thus seek true fulfillment and enlightenment. "Shopping is easy, life affirming, and life enhancing," he writes. "Instead of going deep, why not go shallow?" I'd have to agree with him there- anyone who truly believes his/her life can be improved or fulfilled through shopping is indeed a shallow person. As for shopping being an activity that is "life affirming," well, that might be one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. He also writes that you don't have to spend "a whole bunch of moola" if you go the shopping route as opposed to the traveling route. Um, how do you purchase that crap at the mall if not with money, Simon? Riddle me that one!

Doonan's silly, shallow article represented the nails on the coffin for my Bazaar subscription. He can find enlightenment in a mall; I'll find it in Kyoto.


3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Richelle. Unfortunately, 90% of America probably acts out what Simon is saying- trying to find their personal fulfillment in shopping and material purchases. I would rather have my 2 trips back to Australia than a newer car or more clothes or "stuff" any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leah! I kept thinking about the concept that he was advocating (this false notion that buying stuff makes us feel complete or happy) and then I thought that if your house burns down or if the stuff gets stolen, you're left with nothing (except the credit card bills! haha), but if you spend your money and time on things that truly give meaning to life, nothing can take that away from you. Reminds me of what you wrote in your blog post today, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I have never really had much time for Harpers and this blog post has not redeemed them to me in anyway. Great post though, loves it.

    ReplyDelete