02 July 2010

Masthead Mayhem


It seems that the top editors at magazines like Vogue, W, Glamour, and T are playing a game of musical chairs this summer. After Sally Singer's departure from Vogue was announced, rumors immediately began speculating as to who would replace her at Vogue and who would round out her new team at T Magazine. Back at Vogue, news spread that Associate Editor Eve MacSweeney and Senior Fashion Writer Mark Holgate will be moving on up to fill the role of Singer. I've long admired MacSweeney, so I'm excited to hear of her promotion (if it is indeed true).

I wasn't too concerned regarding what would be happening over at T Magazine, but then it was announced that the magazine's Fashion Director, Anna Christensen, resigned and that Singer might be taking staffers from Vogue with her to T. According to The Cut, Meredith Melling Burke, Vogue's long-time Senior Market Editor (she's had this position for at least ten years, according to my archives), and Tabitha Simmons, a contributing editor and stylist, are both in the running for this gig. Melling Burke has been so close to the top of the masthead for so long, that it seems more likely to me that she'd be interested in leaving Vogue to take on more responsibilities with Singer at T. From my speculation, it seems unlikely that Simmons would want to leave Vogue. Her husband photographs for the magazine and she receives mega publicity for her uber-expensive shoe line through Vogue. I'm guessing she'll stay put.

And, over at Glamour, longtime Fashion Director, Xanthipi Joannides, has departed, opening up that coveted position. I don't follow the masthead over at Glamour very closely (or at all), so I really can't make an educated guess as to who might fill her stilettos. The Cut reported speculations that Elle Style Director, Kate Lanphear, might be a contender. Again, I'm not too sure on this one.

What I do know, or firmly believe, is that all of this talent diversification is excellent both for readers and industry professionals. How exciting will it be if things change a little over at Vogue, or if T Magazine's readership grows? This masthead mayhem is great news for fashion, in my estimation. Stay tuned to hear how it all turns out!


No comments:

Post a Comment