26 July 2010

Irregular Choice

No trip to London could be complete without a visit to my favorite shoe store, Schuh. The gigantic flagship store is located right across the street from the Oxford Circus tube stop in Central London. If you truly love unique, original shoes, you need not look further than Schuh. In addition to carrying their own brand of shoes (my personal favorite), they carry lines like Rocket Dog, Iron Fist, Fly London, and perhaps the most eclectic of them all, Irregular Choice.

What makes Irregular Choice so special is that each pair is highly unusual, unique, and whimsical. Sometimes the designs are wacky and difficult to wear, but other styles are statement pieces that can make an outfit come to life. I always try on a pair, but never end up buying them. The price, especially back when the pound was trouncing the dollar, is a bit high when one considers that the shoes are not everyday pieces. Eighty to one hundred pounds is a bit to spend on a pair of shoes one might only wear a few times. But, then again, when a pair of shoes can so radically transform an outfit, perhaps they are wise investments?

See for yourself:


If you remove the detachable doll pom-pom, I actually think this is an extremely wearable shoe, one that I wouldn't mind owning, in fact. I love the cuff and the thick heel, which keep the shoe from looking tawdry. Also, the paint splotches keep a round-toe shoe from looking too retro.


I would love to see this shoe worn with dark opaque tights and a structured skirt for an interesting feminine/edgy look.


I'm not completely sold on the color palette of this shoe, but I still think it could make an interesting statement. The bow in the front of the shoe might even make it conservative enough for the office.


The "Toodle Loo Bar Baby Doll" heels are probably the most unusual and whimsical of any Irregular Choice shoes I came across at Schuh. The baby doll on the front of the shoe is way too cutesy for my taste (and not formal enough for my usual wardrobe), but worn on the right girl with the right clothing, this could be a stand-out look. Anyone brave enough to try them?


This is one of my favorite pairs because I love the ornate details. I think these shoes would look fantastic with black tights, thus increasing their wear-ability in my closet.


Here's another favorite, mostly because I've been wearing low heels and flats lately. I love the design on this shoe, the t-strap construction, and the stubby heel. If only Schuh shipped to the U.S. *Sigh*

(**images found at schuh.co.uk**)

2 comments:

  1. I love the t-strap, too. It would be a good break from my 4" heels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried on that pair and was *this close* to buying. Alas, I went with a pair from Schuh's namesake line. Still, I think those heels would hold up really well in a city like London or NYC, where your feet are constantly pounding the pavement!

    ReplyDelete