04 March 2011

Jesus Statue Puts Swiebodzin on the Map


What does the Polish city of Swiebodzin have in common with Rio de Janeiro? Both cities are home to the world's tallest statues of Jesus Christ. While Rio's world-famous "Christ the Redeemer" formerly held the title of World's Tallest Jesus Statue, Poland's "Christ the King" has now claimed this honor. The new statue in Poland stands at 33 meters tall, which represents one meter for each year of Christ's life. This statue of Christ also includes a giant crown, which puts the statue at 51 meters tall. Rio's Christ statue towers in at 38 meters tall and overlooks the whole of the city atop a mountain.

I would love to know what my Christian friends think of this trend in building large statues of Jesus Christ. Is it in poor taste? Is it a proud symbol of everlasting faith? According to The Christian Science Monitor, feelings are mixed in Poland with some Polish Catholics feeling that the statue represents "megalomania" and "grandiosity." Others, like Bishop Stefan Regmunt, believe that the statue is an affirming sign of faith. And, of course, local businesspeople (and likely tourism agents) hope that the iconography of the statue will attract more visitors to Poland.

I've dreamed of visiting Christ the Redeemer ever since I saw "The Chipmunk Adventure" as a young child. (I still tear up when I hear "Off to See the World.") And I'd love to see Christ the King, too, especially since it's in my motherland.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have an issue with it...as long as no one is "worshiping" the statue as an idol. To me, it's a piece of religious art such as the beautiful paintings you find in cathedrals. I would also love to see Christ the Redeemer. It is on the top of Brian and I's list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete