09 March 2011

Sarah Burton's Ice Queen and Court for McQueen

The question over at Alexander McQueen, since the loss of the maestro himself, has been how much should Sarah Burton mesh her individual creativity with the vision that McQueen had himself for his label. After viewing her first complete solo collection for the house of Alexander McQueen, I think she did both perfectly. She married her talents and unique point of view with the raw genius of that of Alexander McQueen in the brilliantly-themed "The Ice Queen and Her Court" collection.

It was a collection of both light and airy and tough and edgy clothing, with little color. Nearly every shoe was a platform laced boot of white or black. Models also wore caps of feathers, fur hoods, and little visible makeup. The collection wasn't entirely wearable, but I don't think it needs to be. There is always a client for those who produce fanciful clothing. In fact, there is one dress in particular that I would be lining up to purchase...




I loved the opening look modeled by Freja as the Ice Queen herself.



I could see Daphne Guinness wearing this.



I hope that isn't real fur since I find this entire look highly wearable.



This looks like an ideal suit for the office to me.



Another gorgeous Ice Queen look. I wonder if Tilda Swinton's role in "The Chronicles of Narnia" was partial inspiration for this collection...



Just the slightest touch of color in this delicate lavender ensemble.



And the most beautiful, breath-taking dress of all. Sarah Burton must have a window into my dreams because this is exactly what I have envisioned wearing for a wedding. Time to start saving! I.want.this.dress.


(** all images from style.com**)

1 comment:

  1. 1) Yeah, seeing lots of "Narnia"/Tilda Swinton here!
    2) LOVE the wedding dress, in fact that would be the perfect wedding dress for you! You could totally pull that off.
    3) The lavender? Swoon! Purple is a hot color this season, apparently...

    ReplyDelete