21 March 2011

"To a Mountain in Tibet" Part One


If a book could be accompanied by an audio soundtrack or "theme song," I think the song that would best fit Colin Thubron's newest book, "To a Mountain in Tibet," would be U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." I've only just begun reading it, but this is a powerful book with an important underlying theme that really resonates with me.

Colin Thubron is a British travel writer (I like to think of him as the British Paul Theroux, or Paul Theroux as the American Colin Thubron) who has produced such literary hallmarks as "Shadow of the Silk Road" and "The Lost Heart of Asia." What I love about his writing is that he is honest and straightforward, if even a bit of a curmudgeon at times, while fully immersing himself in and exploring the local culture. The reader knows that he is not taking this journey merely for the sake of selling a book; there is something deep and intrinsic that imbues his curiosity about the world, and it shines through in his books.

"To a Mountain in Tibet" is more than a travel narrative. While coping with his own familial loss, Thubron decides to undertake a pilgrimage to Mount Kailas in Tibet, a place that is sacred to one-fifth of humanity, according to the book-jacket (I'm sure this figure is true, but I'll have to verify it). An abbot Thubron encounters along the journey tells him about the mountain, "You know this is a mountain of great power. To travel there multiplies merit. The Buddha often flew there with his followers. And spiritual treasure-seekers meditated there - thousands of them- so its caves are full of blessing." The reader knows right from the beginning of the book that this is a special journey with a unique purpose. What is it that Thubron is searching for? What has compelled him to make this journey, to climb a mountain that no one ever has before? What is he hoping to find and will he, in fact, find it?

I haven't finished the book yet, so I don't know how the journey will end, but I understand and appreciate Thubron's quest already. Unlike many of the reviewers on GoodReads, I haven't found his writing to be depressing. Instead, I have found it to be introspective and highly personal. Aren't we all searching for something? That perfect job or experience that will make our life complete? Thubron is approaching this search inwardly, for he writes about the tenants of Buddhism in "To a Mountain in Tibet."

I've been very interested in Buddhism lately (that is another reason why I was drawn to this book), reading such works as "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones," "Living Buddha, Living Christ," and "Awakening the Buddha Within," which I highly, highly recommend. Buddhism really speaks to me even though I wasn't raised in a religious family. We didn't read the Bible or talk about God. (To this day, I don't think my sister has ever even opened a Bible.) Religion was just a non-factor. I remember when a friend from high school said to me, "I've known you all these years, but I don't know what you believe." I recall being absolutely dumbfounded by this question. Believe? What do I believe about what? I didn't have an answer for her, and I probably still do not. Yet, I've been drawn to Buddhism, mostly because the teachings of Buddhism are principles that I believe can fit in with anyone's life, whether s/he is spiritual or not. It's about being a better person, living a full life, being happy with you are, and exploring from within. "Help yourself," as the Buddha said.

So, is this why I believe Colin Thubron made that epic trek to Mount Kailas? Is he a "spiritual treasure-seeker?" And, did he find what he was looking for? I'll find out tomorrow...and I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment