18 January 2011

20 More Places to Visit in 2011


If you're still making travel plans for 2011, National Geographic Traveler also has some suggestions for you. The magazine's twenty recommendations are off the beaten path, adventurous, and, like a few of the NYT's recommendations, a tad suspect. (Apparently every publication thinks Americans should be heading to Kurdistan and Tunisia this year...?) Overall, I really enjoyed these travel suggestions and would love to add them to my very long list of places to visit in my lifetime.

1) Mongolia
Why? To visit the Gandan Monastery, view Stone and Bronze Age artifacts, and attend the Naadam Festival.

2) Plitvice Lakes, Croatia
When my sister and I were in this area of Croatia, we were propositioned about a million times to take a boat ride out to see the national park and lakes region. The price they offered was outrageous, so we unfortunately had to decline the usurious offer. Maybe we should have made the splurge? Nat Geo seems to think it's a place worth visiting.

3) Sardinia, Italy
I'm already sold on this gorgeous island. I bought a used copy of the DK Sardinia guide a few years ago and have been wanting to visit ever since. I'd like to get beyond the Costa Smeralda, though.

4) Tasmania
I don't think many American tourists venture to Australia's smallest state, which is, geographically, south from Melbourne. Nat Geo says it is a year-round destination due to its maritime climate.

5) Namibia
Etosha National Park and Mundulea Nature Reserve are two highly recommended sanctuaries for viewing the nation's diverse ecosystems. I'd love, love, love to go to Africa.

6) Laos
It seems like Southeast Asia is perennially popular. Just a few years ago, the New York Times chose Luang Prabang as the top must-see destination.

7) Tunisia
Hmmm...I'm not sure that 2011 is the best time to visit this North African nation after all. When a country makes it on to the State Department's list (i.e. a list of places not to go), it should probably be removed- at least temporarily- from your list. Sorry, Tunisia. We'll have to catch you in 2012.

8) Papua New Guinea
There's no doubt that this remote nation enchants and fascinates travelers. It's way off the beaten path and hard to reach in a myriad of ways. Nat Geo does not recommend going solo, however.

9) Kurdistan, Iraq
I wonder if the NYT and Nat Geo were in cahoots on this one. I am sure that this is a culturally rich nation worthy of study and appreciation, but now might not be the best time to go. Whenever I mention going to a place like this (i.e. Siberia, Burma, Columbia) to my father, he always reminds me that there are millions of places to consider going right now before putting yourself in potential danger. In other words, wait until the turmoil has dissipated; then visit.

10) Black Sea Coast, Crimea
This one-time "Russian Riveria" is "still a mystery" to most North American travelers, according to National Geographic Traveler. I'm intrigued by the "cultural crossroads blending ancient Greek and Roman, Byzantine, Russian, Tatar, and modern Crimean history and architecture."

To view the other selections, check out the full feature here.

(** The above photo is of the harbor in Pula, Croatia.**)

No comments:

Post a Comment