24 January 2011

The Wisdom of Samantha Brown


She can usually be found jet-setting around the world, staying in fabulous luxury hotels, and visiting the best of what the planet has to offer. This past weekend, however, Samantha Brown came to Columbus, Ohio. She spoke at the AAA Travel Expo, which was located downtown. My friend Leah, who is both a travel agent and avid traveler, invited me to attend the Expo with her.

I was really looking forward to hearing Samantha Brown speak. I've been watching her shows since "Great Vacation Homes," but it was her "Passport to Europe" series that really won me over as a fan. I love how her travel experiences, while rarefied and highly unique, are described in her personable way, making her show strangely relate-able. She makes it seem like anyone can travel and have these life-changing experiences. She conveyed exactly this message when she spoke at the Expo.

I found two topics during her presentation to be deeply profound. First, she spoke about how her travel experiences have given her more confidence in every aspect of her life. I've found the same to be true from my own experiences. Traveling to another country definitely requires a certain level of confidence, especially when you are traveling by yourself or without the comfort and ease of an organized tour. My sister and I have both traveled around Europe by ourselves, sometimes arriving in a city without any reservations or concrete plans at all. Traveling like a vagabond forces you out of your comfort zone, allowing you to meet people that you otherwise never would have spoken to. You also have to figure out every single detail of your travels completely on your own, building problem-solving and communication skills. There is a sense of accomplishment that comes with this kind of travel that I'm not sure can be achieved any other way.

Secondly, Samantha (we're on a first-name basis now) spoke about how important and vital traveling really is. She stressed that it is not some frivolous act merely for the privileged few, but an opportunity to greatly improve one's life. I couldn't agree more! I find it so upsetting when traveling is downcast as a "vacation" or considered prodigal and wasteful. Any opportunity to explore the world and see how other people live is a worthwhile one.

While I loved Samantha Brown's presentation (even the somewhat awkward Q&A from strange members of the audience...), there was one huge downside to it that Leah and I discovered. Our minds were spinning with all of the places we want to visit!

Thank you, Samantha Brown!

(P.S. How fabulous is her dress?! I love it!)

3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Thanks for going with me. Samantha was right, travel is not frivolous. I find it absurd (and I think Samantha would too) that Americans are willing to spend thousands of dollars on fancy cars or their child's hobbies- yet travel gives so much inner fulfillment and education. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leah! I was very happy to be able to go with you! I think Samantha was preaching to the choir with us in the audience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with both you and Ms. Brown about the confidence you gain in travel. During my last trip to Germany, a language that I've not spoken since college, I was so proud of how well I could communicate. I went days where the only English I spoke all day was with my husband, doing the day to day in German. Sure, perhaps the transactions weren't profound or complicated, but the sheer fact that I could spend time in a foreign place using a foreign tongue that I'd not spoken in 5 years was a huge boost of confidence. We're getting ready to go on our 2 week cruise, which in theory is easier, since the ship gets you where you need to go, but I've spent weeks mastermining shore excursions & DIY days, saving 50% or more over what we would pay if we'd just booked things through the ship. I find it fun & challenging!

    People always hassle me about John & I's travel plans, and how we should be paying off our home instead...sure, we may be paying on our home for the full next 30 years of the mortgage, but it provides us the flexibility to travel the world! I wouldn't trade it for the world. Heck, I've even taken on couponing as a way to boost our travel budget for next year.

    ReplyDelete