25 May 2010

Churches, Cathedrals, and Basilicas of Europe

There is a popular comic-strip postcard that circulates in England where the main character visits the big tourist spots, chiefly cathedrals, colleges, castles, and cash points. That postcard always makes me laugh (because it is so true!), but it also inspired me to share some pictures I took of the many churches, cathedrals, and basilicas I encountered in Europe. Though I certainly visited my fair share of cash points during my travels, I'll spare my dear readers the excitement of seeing countless pictures of ATMs.


The Hallgrimskirkja in Reykjavik, Iceland. The architectural landscape of this church was certainly the most unique one I encountered.


St. Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland. We actually took part in a Polish mass here.


Cathedral in Geneva, Switzerland. I wish I knew the name, but this picture was taken during our three-hour quest to find accommodations within our budget. Not an easy thing to do in Switzerland, where we often laughed that you must be Rodger Federer in order to live comfortably.


The church of San Petronio in Piazza Maggiore, Bologna, Italy. This church, which dates from 1390, is one of the best examples of brick medieval buildings in all of Italy. The inside of the church was simply awe-inspiring.


The Basilica di San Marco, Venice, Italy. It seemed like all of Europe was under renovation this past trip, including the Basilica. Nevertheless, this was probably the most amazing building that I have ever been inside. Photo-taking was strictly forbidden, so you'll have to venture to Venice if you want to see some of the most spectacular Byzantine art outside of Istanbul.


A side view of the Basilica. I especially love the facade mosaics, dating from the 17th-century.


Front door to the Franciscan Monastery in Pula, Croatia. This was encountered totally by happenstance, one of the many things I love about intrepid travel.


Fans of "The Sound of Music" no doubt recognize this beautiful basilica, as the Basilica of Mondsee is where Maria wed Captain Von Trapp. It is also where I procured holy water that was ironically housed in a Jaeger bottle. Odd...


Temple Church in London, which is the only round church in all of England.


I love the tall statue of the Knights Templar riding past the church. The entirety of the church surroundings make for a most unique experience. The effigies on the floor inside the church are evocative, the side entrance is mesmerizing, and the church itself is located in a part of London that makes you feel as if you have stepped back in time. I highly recommend visiting Temple Church.

1 comment: