21 May 2010

London By Night

The 20th century Hungarian photographer Brassai made a name for himself with his captivating photos of Paris, his adopted city, by night. The photos revealed the true underbelly of Paris- the cafe lifestyle, the brothels, and the artists (namely Picasso) which captured the essence of the roaring twenties. His legendary work, fame, and the indelible mark he left on the art world garnered him the nickname "the eye of Paris."

I've been researching the work and life of Brassai all week, so I'm eager to share more about this amazing artist, but for now, I have been inspired to share some of my photos of my favorite city by night. Maybe one day I'll be known as "the eye of London." One small problem, though: there already is a "London Eye."


The London Eye at night, illuminated with bright blue lights.



Nelson's column with the moon and a streetlight shining in the background.




This is probably my favorite photo of London by night. I love how three different kinds of light are captured and how the Waterstones (building to the left) almost resembles a Roman amphitheater at first glance.




This picture needs not a caption, but I just love how tall and proud Big Ben appears at night.



Westminster Abbey is also very different at night. I wonder what that turquoise line on the photo is, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment