05 May 2010

Dispatches from Europe


I've been backpacking through Europe for the past four weeks. Well, my version of backpacking, that is (i.e. budget hotels and wheeling a 17-kilo suitcase decked out with blazers, scarves, over-the-knee boots, and snazzy Gola trainers). Amid the chaos, I wanted to take a quick minute to write about some of the trends that I've been seeing on the chic European streets.

1) Cross-body bags. These long-chain bags have been spotted everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. From the fashion-forward streets of London to the hip Croatian streets and just about everywhere in between, every girl is sporting the cross-body bag. Unaware that this was an emerging trend, I had packed two such bags (one larger bag for everyday use and a striped clutch with chains for evening/dressier occasions). I've barely seen another style of bag carried thus far.

2) Tights and leggings as pants. Remember when Sally Singer said "the jacket is the new coat" during a meeting filmed in The September Issue? Well, the legging is indeed the new pant. In many cases, I've seen girls wearing fabrics as sheer as tights alone as pants. The denim legging is also extremely popular. Skinny jeans are still en vogue, but it's really all about the tight, body-conscious tight right now.

3) Patterned scarves. Even the men in Italy don bright, frilly scarves. Scarves can be both fashionable and utilitarian, so it's no wonder that everyone from Bologna to Geneva sports one. I've picked up two so far (one in Bologna for eight euros and one black and neon print in London).

4) Quirky, feminine flats. Sorry, heels, but you have officially been replaced by the flat. Flats have been everywhere, probably because they are available in every possible colour, size, and pattern imaginable. I picked up an awesome pair of flats from Schuh in London (aka "my greatest weakness"). At first glance, they appear to be regular grey flannel flats, but when the tops are revealed, they unveil a neon orange strap. Worn with black tights, they are real show-stoppers. When the uber-fashionable London girls turn their heads to get a second look, you know you're on to something. Heels, on the other hand (er, foot), were only spotted when my sister and I arrived in the sketchy part of Frankfurt and encountered some "women of the night." Time to give your feet a rest and don flats!

5) Bright hair. I've seen women with blue, purple, red, and pink hair so far, and I'm pretty sure they weren't mistakes made by the colorist a la that scene in Bride Wars when Kate Hudson emerges from the chair with Smurfette's look. Even older women (who were probably a bit too old for bright blue tresses) were seen sporting the look. Sarah Brown reported that all-over color in bold hues is the newest trend in hair, but this might be taking it a step too far.

So, there you have it. Not all of the described looks are cutting-edge or terribly unique, but I wanted to fill you in on what's happening on the other side of the Atlantic, as that is where many trends tend to originate. More to come...!


No comments:

Post a Comment