16 May 2010

Stella Design, Iceland

On a recent trip to Iceland, I had the hope of uncovering unique trends in style and design. Scandinavian countries are, after all, known for being at the forefront of creativity and innovation in both fields. Though I only had a day to spend in the capital city of Reykjavik, I came across Stella Design, a female-run design company that specializes in graphic art on glass and porcelain.

Dagny Kristjansdottir and Ingibjorg Hanna are the two designers, hailing from Denmark and Iceland respectively, responsible for the "My Family" line of glassware. My Family aims to capture family life by depicting people in national costume surrounded by the beautiful Icelandic countryside. Pictures of the entire family from boy, girl, mother, father, and grandmother and grandfather are available to own. All glasses are contained in durable and brightly colored house-shaped boxes. I bought my glassware of the girl at Mal Og Menning, a sort of Icelandic B&N, in the center of town. I really love these whimsical designs because they are bright and cheerful, much like the friendly Icelanders I encountered.

The glassware can be purchased at Stella Design in Reykjavik at Aegisgata 7 and Mal Og Menning at Laugavegi 18. Sadly, the designs are not available for purchase at the company website, stelladesign.is. You'll just have to venture to Iceland!

No comments:

Post a Comment